Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hangover

Sin gives me a hangover.  If you ever drank too much, the next day your head and body all hurt.  You may say, "I won't do that again."  You may apologize to whoever you offended, promise to take care of damage caused, and so on, but the hangover does not go away because of your promises or other's forgiveness.  It is the same with sin or bad behavior.  If you have offended anyone, they may forgive you if you ask.  God forgives, but that does not take away the "hangover" or effects of what our fault has done to our soul.  The spiritual life is wounded, and damaged.  It takes time to heal.  There are interior consequences to a day badly lived.  I have found that daily doses of meditation, can lessen the hangover because it lessens bad behavior on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. As I close my Contemplative Prayer group meeting, I give this a hearty AMEN!

    tomfitz

    ReplyDelete