Friday, April 4, 2014

Miss the Point

Yesterday, I wrote about how I would miss a golf tournament on TV because I had chosen to do a good deed, as a way to work on my own self-centeredness.  I got several comments of how I could tape the tournament and therefore not miss it.  This amuses me and then saddens me.  To do a good deed with as little suffering as possible, with as little cost to ourself, is to miss the point.  Peter did not want his friend Jesus to suffer much at all.  Jesus called him, "Satan."  He loved Peter, but Peter missed the point.  The cross is the central motif for Good Friday.  Will you go to a Good Friday service, but tape your favorite shows so you will be little inconvenienced by your stab at piety?  Well, things could be worse.  We could skip it altogether and use the Easter weekend as a holiday to visit Vegas.  

1 comment:

  1. Friends who want you to suffer less and want to help you lighten the load should be blessed, not berated. Do they know that you've taken this mission as a "cross"? Was Peter really Satan? I think Peter was well intentioned in trying to ease his friend's road, just as your friends are.

    It is your responsibility to take the gracious suggestions and use them or not - as you need on your path and with cross bearing.

    ReplyDelete