Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Mere Information

I learned stuff in school that I neither remember nor needed again after I finished school. It was information that did not change me or even move me to change.  Advanced math would be one of the items, but also many a novel I read as an English major in college.  I would like to be a teacher who might help people to become transformed, to make changes within themselves for the better of them and those around them.  Jesus did this by telling parables about ordinary situations.  I try to take the everyday and tell stories.  "Life With Maureen," was along this line, though I think people remember enjoying the story but forgetting the point.  Maybe I did not have a point?  Maybe my efforts are fluff?  Might be time to see that monastery vocation monk and join up for silence.  I would miss teaching and preaching, but if no one is changing, I might be in the wrong field.

10 comments:

  1. In counseling and psychology, you don't usually know when the person makes the change. In teaching, it might be 20 years before somebody comes up and says that you changed their life. You sound like you are wanting something inside filled. Proof that you make a difference ? A reason to withdraw more ? I like your mind. You encourage me to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to transform new people, then psychology with a spiritual back up. It was not until I spent three days at a seminar comparing western psychology and eastern philosophy (Buddhism) that I got it. You listen for the soul to speak or the Basic Goodness to come forward. Change or the person's clear path opens up. You have to have a lot of psych to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To see change sometimes requires intimacy with another person. Your souls so to speak open up to each other. It is profound. You probably have it with God all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find your preaching inspiring and instructive on connecting our day to day lives to God. I also appreciate your insights and help on prayer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not an either or situation. You are not in a product oriented field like stocks. You are in a process field. Forget the end result. It is just an encounter that you have with people that counts. If you feel something then it counts. If you feel blah than see where the blah is coming from. What does the blah do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have come to the conclusion after many years teaching that we have no idea the effect we have on the lives of others . I have had feed back at times about something I said many years ago that made a different to someone that I do not remember let alone what it was I said. I came to the conclusion long ago that throw away comments that are negative also make a difference---hopefully they are few and far between. I do not think that we will ever realize in our life times how many people we have affected in good ways.Be of good cheer---you will be overwhelmed I am sure by the good you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having given so much over so long - what do you wish for yourself? Instead of how others react to you, how do you react to you? Do you long for silence? Do you enjoy the stories?

    ReplyDelete
  8. By 9:29 a.m. you have already received 7 comments. That's my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee Terry, I'd be kinda sad and lost if you stopped the blog. So I will keep praying that you continue. Retirement is not all its cracked up to be

    ReplyDelete