Monday, August 4, 2014

Michelle

I work sometimes in the same office as my friend, Michelle, in a Boulder parish.  I am trying to figure out how to be like her.  Everyone loves her.  My problem is that at times I get a virus of low social skills and doing stupid stuff.  I have not been able to find a cure.  If I knew when I was going to slip into my viral behavior, I would stay at home, turn off the cell and computer, and read books.  No one would be hurt and maybe I would be missed by those who have short term memory loss.  I would of course keep up my blogs, as I have two or three people that look forward to them, and have a very low bar of acceptable content.  I am up in the mountains now at a monastery, where the silence prevents a lot of stupid talk by me.  You don't even have to give a homily in the weekday masses.  I am hoping by this strategy that people will forget the messy things I do, and think only good things about me.  I am better when I am missed.  I am not so good when I am present.  My sister Maureen says I will burn.

6 comments:

  1. Father Terry, as I see it, everyone loves you too. The big difference is that they are also a little afraid of you as well. Do you remember being in grammar school and that scary guy "the principal" - well, you are sort of like God's principal - someone who sets the rules and is charged with seeing we all follow them.

    In reality, it's probably more like the Wizard of Oz. Those that get to know the man behind the mask find the warm and wonderful person you are. Those who accept the mask as the man don't benefit from your true self.

    It is part of the burden you accepted when you joined the priesthood - to be part of but also apart. Things are changing and hopefully you'll come to have faith in the amount of love that pours out for you, Terry the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are going through some kind of cleansing process up there ? You live with men who are not mainstream and you expect to be a social butterfly ? You seem to be comfortable interacting with old people. You don't have much eye contact with women who are younger. Let your warmth flow naturally. The Irish are always beating themselves up when they cannot get someone else to do it. Maybe your sisters resented your only boy status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I have been to penance twice in 10 years (what might Maureen say about that?) and I recall exactly what you told me then. I have embraced the psalm that you suggested I read and still read regularly. (It's more beautiful than a shakespeare soliloquy) and I have forgiven myself for being such a screw up with my mother when I was young.
    So stop beating yourself up for being shy and a bit of a recluse, but don't forget that folks like me need your wisdom and humor. I'd love to hear a homily from you or Maureen and we drive 50 miles to hear you in Lyons or Boulder. Teach us, challenge us.Give us a Sat morning talk about your sister?
    Go Giants Go Yankees
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. As with the above comments. Fr. Terry your audience is fond of you. Even if I don't agree with your leanings. Our past our experience is what makes us to become who we are. The people who we encounter make a difference. Your sister Maureen made a difference for you in some way positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always appreciate your self deprecating sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love Michelle. I would like to be more like her too. I really love you and would like to be more like you, for different reasons of course. You are both gifts from God to me. I suffer from a lifelong malady of low social skills and doing stupid stuff. Now I also must have memory loss as I do look forward to your presence and to your having to give homilies.

    ReplyDelete