Sunday, September 7, 2014

Left-handed Desk


When I started school, I was left-handed.  I still am.  Sister Mary Phillips did not try and change me.  Fortunately, our first grade desks were full desks, so that both a left or right handed person could work without having to distort their bodies.  Between Sister and the desk, I was given an early sense that left-handed was just fine.  This solid base of self-esteem allowed me to put up with the many desks that cottoned only to right-handed people in the upper classes.  I had to scramble to find one of the few if any user friendly left-handed desks.   Typewriters and early computer keyboards were not geared to me.  I had to adjust.  Thanks to Sister Mary Phillips and the first grade desks, I could accept a lot of reality as it later was presented to me.  May we all be a Sister Mary Phillips to the young and innocent who are the way God made them.  My big sister Maureen thought I was going to burn, but never because I am left-handed.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Some of our siblings can teach us to be tough.

    ReplyDelete