Sunday, September 21, 2014

Snail Mail


I wrote 90 letters this summer.  Many of them were "thank you" for things people did or are doing.  There are so many people I have not written yet, but 90 was a good start.  I planned it.  I would write a certain number of cards each day.  It meant I did not do something else.  It became a priority, something like writing a blog.  The last couple of weeks I wrote most of the teachers at our local grade school.  Some have no idea who I am outside of a priest in residence.  So what?  Spread a little joy.  Thank people for being here and doing their teaching ministry.  Maybe someone got a letter from me when they were having a bad day, and it lifted them up.  Maybe I am old fashioned, but I believe snail mail is more powerful than ever.  It helps me to work on my penmanship too.

2 comments:

  1. I can not agree more with you. You use a different part of the brain when you use your writing ability. I treasure every little thank you note from a kid especially when it goes up the side of the letter. I have one friend who is eloquent and I would never have known if it were not for her notes. Love letters- I have treasured the ones that I have for over 50 years. It takes me back to a wonderful time. It

    ReplyDelete
  2. The written word carries even more impact when it arrives on paper with a stamp.

    ReplyDelete