Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Theology Of The Body

This is a marriage theology that my church proposes.  The conjugal act is central to the renewal of vows to a faithful love.  Well, how about a different approach to the married body.  This body takes out the garbage, puts dirty dishes into the dish washer, empties the clean dishes and puts them away, hangs up clothes after taking them off or puts them into the hamper, puts down the toilet seat after using it, cleans up the sink after washing, helps make the bed, helps with laundry, and the list goes on.  Don't come with kisses and conjugal acts if you are otherwise self-imploded or clueless.  As marriage goes along, the conjugal acts become more infrequent.  My list is a daily way to renew the vows and be faithful.  But then I am a priest.  What do I know?

4 comments:

  1. conjugal act sounds gymnastic . I don't know why Mothers of sons raise them to be so house helpless sometimes. It seems to me that the marriages that last 30 years or more, the wife is responsible and the man treats his wife by doing chores every so often. I hope that I am wrong but, this is what I see. I guess bringing home the bacon counts more. No bacon no house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 39 years married - I help bring home the bacon - from day one until now. Equal division of labor is a dream - but as the first commenter says, every once in a while I'm treated to some help.

    Maybe more conjugal acts if there is less exhaustion and more faithfulness??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a priest, what do you know? You know how to receive and communicate divine inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we thank Maureen, your mom and dad and/or your community for your insights? Bob and and just celebrated our 40th yesterday, Division of labor from day 1 and he has finally learned to cook. Two old Married Bodies! I am still in love!!
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete