Saturday, October 25, 2014

Charlotte

My friend Charlotte passed away recently.  She was 90.  She had a good run.  Along with her husband, George, who died a few years ago, Charlotte was a seeker of God.  She was curious to learn more and pray more deeply.  Age did not diminish this attitude.  She was very encouraging to me in my own reading and teaching of mystics.  I loved her acceptance even when I was shallow and pompous.  I did not know that I was shallow and pompous.  I thought I was brilliant, until some time later when God would shine the Light into my soul and reveal how little I knew and how shallow I was.  If my friend Charlotte had told me I was an idiot, when I was an idiot, my deflated ego would have stopped the seeking for God.  We need friends who will encourage us through the rough patches when we do not know how little we know.  Charlotte was very wise.  People of spiritual depth are like that.  They know when silence is best.  If I am lucky, I will be like my friend Charlotte some day.

4 comments:

  1. It is hard not to be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. My mother was a seeker of God. She would always sign her cards with "Trust" and "Believe."
    You impacted her life greatly. In a very good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend was also mine through family as Charlotte was my aunt. She was truly wise and humble. She was so reverent in her simple way of life. She was a great role model. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You speak for me too when i remember how she accepted me and treated me like a good person during my rebellious teenage years. Her heart always had room for one more soul to love and pray for. I have been so lucky to spend a lot of my formative years close to her and her family. I will miss my Aunt and Godmother's presence in body but don't have to look far to feel her in all that is beautiful and kind.

    ReplyDelete