Thursday, October 2, 2014

Coming Out

When I walk down the street dressed in my clerical black clothes and priest collar, I am "coming out Catholic." When the priest sex scandal hit the news some dozen years ago, it was pretty tough to "come out Catholic" as a priest.  I thought people were looking at me, wondering if I was one of "them," and safe to be around.  Some places I simply do not want to come out Catholic because I don't want to get into some long conversation.  Airplane travel would qualify.  I want my alone time.  In some ways though it is easier for me to come out Catholic because I have a distinct outfit. I don't have to say anything.  If you are a lay person and you are in a group that is trashing your church or God, do you pipe up with, "Well, I am Catholic," or whatever church, synagogue, mosque, ashram you belong to?  Lots of people just keep it to themselves.  Coming out is difficult in lots of areas, not just religion.  Yet, I have met many a person who changed their opinion of some group based upon someone they met/liked/related to, who came out  as being part of that group.  Much prejudice comes from not really knowing anyone in the group you are downgrading.   If you are an alcoholic in recovery, you are supposed to come out to other alcoholics to identify yourself and gain credibility if you are going to be helpful.  If you are going to do road rage or tailgating, or cut someone off for a parking spot, I hope you don't have any car stickers that say you are a Catholic!  We have enough people leaving my church as it is.

4 comments:

  1. People want to know what kind of a Catholic are you ? I think a lot of us it is like a second skin or part of our skin. I just say that there is faith and then the men in charge. Something like that. Dogma vs. faith ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a lost Catholic but i wish i was found

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a difference between a friar that takes a "vow of chastity" and a parish priest being celibate? My ignorance led to fear, which always seems to lead to distrust. I'm still saddened and shocked by the child abuse scandal and the pain it caused so many.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most Latin Rite priests have to be celibate, that is, not married. It is a rule. Not a God command. All people are supposed to practice chastity, even married people.

    ReplyDelete