Monday, October 6, 2014

Sweethearts

My friends, Steve and Maureen, have ben married enough years that they have a child of high school age and two a bit younger.  I saw them coming out of a breakfast place, his arm around her waist and her arm around his waist, just like sweethearts on a date..in the morning!  I thought, "Wow!  Married people still do that after a bunch of years?"  See, I know nothing because some married people, when they come to me, their marriage is a wreck.  I guess that a celibate priest is a last resort.  Other couples seem to be married, OK, but I suspect that my friends, Steve and Maureen, don't just want OK.  The only way I know that some people are married is that they seem to be standing next to a child or children, like parents.  Steve and Maureen want to still be sweethearts.  I remember when my Dad would come home from work.  He and Mom would kiss in the kitchen as she stopped for a moment from making our dinner.  I was never embarrassed.  I was impressed.  Go Steve and Maureen!

1 comment:

  1. That's the relationship I want - the one where the partners cherish and support each other. How to find the partner who will help you build and MAINTAIN that type of connection over years - that's the help we need. How in your experience Fr. Terry is this achieved?

    ReplyDelete