Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Infallible?

I recall that when John Paul II said anything, all the conservatives spoke about infallibility, and we are to do what the Pope just said.  Well, now Francis I speaks and the same conservatives seem to wonder if he is really Catholic?  I guess infallibility in in the eyes of the beholder or their politics and prejudices.  It seems to me that we are formed by our upbringing and our experiences.  Some can develop a lust for power, control, wealth, the need for strict rules/laws.  Some people from the same background as the above can develop into saints.  The only equalizer is Grace offered.  Some respond and some don't.  Some of us know of our lusts, and hope to be saints, but cannot seem to stay on track.  My sister said I was a "rotten kid."  Can rotten kids become saints?  If not, I am in deep trouble.

3 comments:

  1. Can a rotten kid begin a spiritual journey that leads to holiness? I have met only a few souls that I would call "holy". Our Boulder sacristan Pat seemed to suffer through life in a deep state of Grace, deep prayer, surrender. Now I would say, "Congratulations Pat, you are a saint!" The rest of us have still got a lot of work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are politically and theologically conservative! Francis I is the pope and we respect him and don't question his authority or legitimacy. It's not helpful to use stereotypes and generalities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the following reflection, which applies to both your "infallible" question, and "rotten kid" part. Well, it applies a little bit on the "ignorance" of the latest blog post.

    The Words of Consecration in English include the "which will be poured out for you and for many". In Italian those words are "poured out for you and for all". Besides not being clear if it's future or past (Italian grammar allows for that uncertainty), there is an important difference. Italian priests say *all*, not many. Even rotten kids. There is less power, control, wealth, the need for strict rules/laws. I wonder what is lost in translation, maybe you studied the actual words of Jesus and you know.

    ReplyDelete