Monday, November 24, 2014

Unique

There are a group of young people who hang out on a nearby outdoor mall in a town where I live.  They dress differently, and look differently than the people who are shopping and eating in the restaurants on the mall.  I think of these young people as "unique."  Unique is all that they can change in their world that seems so otherwise hopeless to them.  They cannot change their home life, parents, school situation, job prospects, or the world around them.  So they change the one thing over which they still have some power.  They change their face and clothes.  It gives them a sense of some empowerment.  Someone living on the street sees how little they can change, in their estimation.  So they change one thing, their consciousness.  They get drunk.  Some people just do dope for the same reason.  It gives them some sense of power.  I have found the power in the spiritual.  I can seem to have a whole change of attitude when I sit quietly in silence, or talk to someone about this interior life.  I have tried the other things but they did not go deep enough.  Just more problems.

1 comment:

  1. I love your insight (as always).
    Hope you have a wonderful Turkey Day, so much to be thankful for this year. We will miss you at the table.

    ReplyDelete