Monday, December 8, 2014

The Minimum

Did you know that the minimum salary for a major league professional baseball player is now $507,000.  Wow, this is a lot of money, and it is the least a guy can make.  Why is this?  Well, it turns out that very few people can hit a baseball thrown at 90+ miles per hour which is also dipping and curving as it comes to the hitter.  A baseball player is a rare person.  I think I have something that is rare, but it makes no big money for me.  I tell stories in my homilies.  Children love it.  But they have no money.  Adults tell me that they love my preaching, but then they don't come back for a month.  Plus, when I preach the collections are no better, and often worse, than when I don't preach.  I am thinking of becoming a hermit and just blog in my cave.  But this would be a form of whining, and since "The Boys In The Boat," I don't want to whine anymore.  I'll just preach catechism and rest my imagination.  Well, some of the stories have a fib or two.

2 comments:

  1. It is not fibbing. I too am Irish and like to relate happenings- .To make a story even better--I've been accused of exaggeration and inaccuracies --is not fibbing or exaggeration . I choose to call it embellishment. I think you do it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe baseball players have to do a lot to be at the bottom pay scale. Just so that the lower skill player doesn't get their spot. They have to have a sport agent, carry their many expenses. Etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete