Thursday, January 1, 2015

Sociable

Parents seem to worry about whether or not their children are "fitting in" at school.  Do they have friends, and do stuff with other children.  My mother could not have cared less.  I went to school to learn.  There was nothing on the report card about how much I fit in.  I hung out with some kids and not with others.  My biggest trama was if I wanted to be with someone more than he seemed to want to be with me.  This was never even on my mother's bucket list and I am thankful for that.  I learned rejection at times, and had good times too.  I had friends but I learned to play alone or be alone and enjoy my own company.  I went to the library to read in the summer.  I rode my bike about and explored, sometimes alone and sometimes with a friend who was available.  I did things without waiting around for someone else.  There was never any pressure on me to do more with more children.  So I did not feel a failure.  You see, I am an introvert.  My mother accepted that and it made all the difference.  Parents, read the book, "Quiet" before pushing your children to all these play dates and after school activities.

3 comments:

  1. It takes a little work to understand an introvert but your mother was very wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my understanding that an extrovert goes out and does many things on the weekend so he can go to work on Monday , calm and relaxed. Whereas, an introvert stays home and relaxes so he can start Monday calm and relaxed. True?

      Delete
  2. Extroverts get their energy from being with others, Introverts get their energy being by themselves. Carol, your statement makes sense! Fr. T, we introverts need to stick together, knowing the world thinks we're so strange. Glad you read Ms. Cain's book. It's comforting.

    ReplyDelete