Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Feelings

Whenever I am spiritually unfit, ignoring my inner spirit, I find certain feelings take center stage, and other feelings take a back seat at best.  I find that I lack the ability to feel compassion for the pain of another person.  I am self-focused.  I feel more judgmental, irritable, cynical and frightened, though I often don't even know I am frightened.  Fear disguises itself in discontent and anxiety.  Simply put, when I pray, I can love others better and be generally more helpful.  For Lent, I am trying to be more helpful each day.  One helpful act each day is not too high a bar.  Well, I have my moments when the bar seems like Everest.  Growing up is hard!

2 comments:

  1. When I am treated with disrespect, with passive aggressive behavior, I withdraw and question why they think I am stupid. I find it so hard to be open and joyful when I am protecting my feelings. Being loving seems in denial. I will move slowly but, just a little openly. I'd like you to comment .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bodily protection aside, being loving when others have not earned it or are acting badly toward us, is what changes our lives. It is love as a decision not so much an emotion.

    ReplyDelete