Friday, April 10, 2015

Burning For A Good Deed

About a week ago, all the priests were away at a meeting, all but me.  A call came in to go and anoint a dying lady.  I went.  When I told her my name she remembered me from when I was young, good looking and a fast runner.  Until I said my name, she did not recognize me, now old, haggard and a washed up jogger.  She knew me from my days at our Paulist parish in Boulder in the 80s.  So we had a nice visit of recalling old mutual friends.  I anointed her and gave her communion.  Standard procedure.  Then she said that her marriage had never been blessed in the church.  A priest, surely not a Paulist, had told her once she could not go to communion as she was married outside the church.  Well, she had just received communion from me.  She asked me if I could bless her marriage.  Her husband was there in the room.  I had them to hold hands and say yes to the vows I recited.  Then her husband went and found her ring.  He put it on her figure and held her hand as I blessed the ring. I said marraige prayers from the ritual. I told them they were now married.  The caregiver was somewhere in the apartment, so I figured she was the witness.  The couple were so happy.  But of course I must have broken a bunch of rules, and am supposed to burn.  Had I waited, the women might have died or gone into a comma or whatever.  Now was the moment.  Since I was trying to do a good deed, and did make this couple happy, I hope that the fires are small and short-lived.  What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. You were an instrument of healing for her.
    You followed your heart despite your churches rules....
    No burning here....just choosing love and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man made rules are not God's rules. You did a wonderful blessing. Hope your surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! It gives me hope. Reminds me of quote from St. John of the Cross: "In the evening of life, we shall be judged on love."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one very, very beautiful story. One to bring some tears because of a priest going directly to the HEART of the matter

    ReplyDelete