Saturday, May 2, 2015

Doubting Thomas

We sometimes put down a "Doubting Thomas" type person.  I think that the doubting Thomas, such as in the Gospel of John, might have a good point.  Thomas' faith cannot be based upon what someone tells him to be so.  He has to have an experience of God, in this case, in the Risen Jesus.  Is this not the way it is for all of us, if faith is to be sustained, much less grow, as we grow up?  For instance, the child in the Catholic school or religious ed class is told something out of a catechism or a creed.  The child says "Yes," but how much of that is because an adult or authority person, teacher, told them it is so? Their faith is in the person who told them, and not in an event.  If the child does not at some time have sufficient personal experiences of what is told to them about God and Jesus, then the child will drift away as he/she grows up.  Information is important, but it is never enough.  The other Apostles gave Thomas information.  Faith came with the experience of the Risen Jesus.  I do not have to see with the same experience as did Thomas, but I do have to have sufficient events or God's presence to be a believer that will sustain me through life's ups and downs.

2 comments:

  1. Right on!
    I was gifted to have such an experience when I was 20 years old and it's changed my life.
    I am now 71 and I've never needed another experience to know I am loved unconditionally by a loving God and that their is a very very thin veil between this life and the next.
    Good bling this one!

    ReplyDelete