Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Create Customers

The purpose of business is to create customers.  I read this.  When you are small with no or few customers, this is what you try to do.  Customer service is big.  As the customer base grows, the purpose of the business often shifts to profits.  Money replaces customers in importance.  I think that large organizations can learn from recovery programs such as AA which is growing each year in "customers."  AA seeks to make no profit.  Its passing of the hat is for expenses.  There are a few national level employees.  But at the local "shop" the work is done by caring volunteers.  AA seeks to stay in business to pass on the product, which is the message of recovery and communal support.  I am at my best when I think of myself as a volunteer for my message.  I seek to pass on a message and have enough money to stay in business.  This allows me to work because I love what I do.  I used to make a lot more money, Columbia MBA, and all, but I was a lot less happy.   Of course, I would love a few more people to attend my talks, but then again, I might not be all that talented.   Maybe I am lucky to be in business at all!

3 comments:

  1. Clever. Your sense of humor is an ace tool to get the business growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there were a lot more "not all that talented" people like you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Customer service is the end all for all business at any level. Customer service is also the end all for most undertaking. It's an area where there is practically no training on how to accomplish this task. But in my opinion it is the most important. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete