Friday, September 4, 2015

Lawn Sprinkler

The soul is like a lawn of grass.  Prayer is the water that sprinkles it.  We have a sprinkler system at our house in Boulder.  One of the sprinkler heads is out of commission.  The grass in that area has gone brown.  I reminds me of my need to pray on a daily basis.  My soul cannot survive without the watering of prayer.  I have to water my soul each day, early in the morning and again later in the day or in the evening.  Meditation is my sprinkler system and it is not on automatic.  No timer.  It is driven by willpower.  Sometimes my willpower is out of commission.  Then I dry up.  Then I pray out of desperation.  I try to keep my will power in good order, but I sometimes get "busy," or very important.  I have to do a lot of stuff.  I have my checkoff list.  Somehow prayer gets dropped from the list.  It is best not to have delusions of self-importance.  It makes for a better prayer life, and I am actually more functional for those around me when I water my soul.

1 comment: