Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Sibling Gift

Today, my youngest sister, Jane, turns 65.  Now we siblings are all senior citizens.  She was born on a Holy Day in our church, All Saints Day.  The day she was born, I was disappointed.  I already had two sisters, including the formidable Maureen.  I was the only boy, and wanted a brother to even things up.  Now there would be three girls and me.  Yuck!  Except to torment Jane now and again, along with my sister Maureen, I had very little to do with Janie, as we called her.  We also called her the gas baby.  I was cruel, but an altar boy as well.  Janie turned out to be a gift in my life, totally unearned and when young, unappreciated.  She is my only sibling who likes sports.  We are very compatible when vacationing.  We need no big agendas.  We can enjoy each other's company and talk about Maureen.  Janie is the only sibling who cooks like my Mom.  We like the same foods, coffee with half and half, and treats.  Some of the best gifts are the ones we never ask for.

1 comment: