Friday, November 20, 2015

No Clinging

I just read a wisdom saying in a gospel.  "Everyone who does not renounce all their possessions cannot be my disciple."  OK.  I am not a follower of Jesus, who said this in Luke 14:33.  But the only ones who I know who even remotely follow this are people in monasteries and cloisters.  And some of them can be hoarders too.  Does this mean that there are a lot of baptized people who are not really Christians?  Perhaps.  But wait, maybe there is hope for people like me.  I have stuff.  I have lots of stuff in some areas.  Maybe my goal is to become detached from my stuff.  Let go of the fear that there will not be enough.  Let go of the "More" focus.  I don't need more and I can let go of some of what I have, like a house cleaning.  I put a note next to my bed and on my dresser that says, "I have plenty."  I would get depressed if I wrote wisdom saying from the gospel because then I would awaken to my feebleness to follow the gospel.  Work on attitude and things will fall into place.  I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. This has and will always be a tough one!

    The eye of the needle is getting smaller and smaller...., and the camel.....fuhgetttaaaboutidt !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Father Terry, for reminding us of this wise instruction from Christ; I needed to hear this today.  Reading our Lords wise words (Luke 14:33) sets a fire in my heart to be more like Christ!
    While it's obvious not everyone leaves all things behind, yet Christ' words are critical in this case to strengthen every believer and remind us we should renounce worldly matters in the sense of deeming them transient and not to be clung to. Nothing can be better then when it is God that is our greatest priority above all.

    ReplyDelete